Pages

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Visual Sheets..

I decided I wanted to base my project on contemporary detailed floral design. When doing these visual sheets I wanted plenty of colour and pattern. I wanted my work to look quite cultural offering many interpretations and emotions. My main source of artist inspiration came from one of my favourite artists William Morris whose work captures my attention every time I look at it. I love his use of colour and detail. I decided I was going to combine my own artistic ideas and his work but to put a modern twist on floral design. These sheets include media such as fine liner, paint and nail polish. I am pleased with these two sheets overall but they took along time to complete. All inspiration came from my mood boards combing both traditional and contemporary floral design and from my artist sheets. Both sheets are A2 size.


This sheet looks quite cultural with an Indian feel which was unintended, I mixed blue and yellow ink together to make green which I used for my background, when it had dried it looked like it had been varnished which made it look even better. I sketched out the flowers first in pencil and carefully painted each small section in various colours of gouache paint and attempted to make each flower identical. I then completed the flowers by adding coloured dots and metallic gold dots to the background. The gouache paint gives it a velvet 3D effect due to experimentation. This sheet was tricky to paint because the sections were so small and I had to have a really steady hand.

This sheet looks quite gothic but striking. I wanted the blues and blacks to stand out against the plain white background, I used fine liner to get the accuracy of the flowers and paint for the blue and white flowers. I completed the sheet by putting purple nail polish polka dots all over the sheet to give another splash of colour. At first this sheet went wrong and I had to cut out the main flowers and stick them on another sheet which made the sheet quite thick, however it turned out alright in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment