Pages

Tuesday 20 May 2014

Felt And Knitting Samples...

I decided to create some felt and knitting samples to show a variety of textile techniques that I have mastered over this year to support my project. I created three children's knitted scarves completed with wet felted flowers that I made, one knitted square and four panels of wet felted squares with felted flowers stitched on. I am really pleased with the results of all these samples so I've decided to show them in my exhibition. Each sample didn't take long to do and all go with my floral theme. Overall I had great fun with these textile techniques as it taught me new skills that I can take with me through life.


I knitted this square using 4mm knitting needles, completed with a wet felted flower and a button, I created this piece for my tech file to show my knitting and felting skills. In this sample I dropped and gained a few stitches but I have improved with more time and experience.


I wet felted blue wool fibres to create the square base, I then wet felted green and cream wool fibres and cut them out into flowers once dry. In between the layers I used man made felt to give the petals a different colour. I then stitched them onto the felt base using hand sewing completed with a button for each flower.


The yarn was quite soft so I had to be careful not to knit too tight as this can make it difficult to continue the scarf. I used 4mm knitting needles to make this blue scarf, completed with wet felted flowers using baby blue and purple wool fibres and man made felt for the in between layers.


This was the first sample I did and it was an experiment. This was quite hard to felt because I layered the wool quite thick, however it turned alright in the end. I used mustard coloured felt fibres for the base and pink wool fibres for the wet felted flowers with man made felt for the in between layers.


This sample shows slightly sharper petals for the flowers making it look different to the rest of my samples. This sample was very well felted but I kept having to stretch it out because it was getting smaller and smaller. I used pink wool fibres for the base and purple wool fibres for the in between layers of the flowers.


This was a slightly bigger scarf that I knitted using slightly bigger knitting needles. This meant that the scarf became quite stretchy. I used green yarn for the scarf, and then I wet felted some bright orange and green flowers for the ends of the scarf. I like this scarf because the colours contrast with each other. Each flower that I've made I've cut free hand to make the flower shape.


This is my favourite scarf because the quality of the yarn was really nice to knit with because it was thick. The yarn had three different colours running through it which gave it a really nice effect. I completed the scarf with felted flowers and tassels for the end of the scarf. This scarf didn't take long because the yarn was quite thick meaning I didn't need to do so many rows.


This is my final felt square. I used red felt fibres for the base and really bright red felt for the flowers, with man made felt for the in between layers. This sample was also quite simple to do with such an effective technique.

Health and Safety: Be careful when handling needles as they are sharp. Be careful when felting because water can be spilled near electric or on the floor causing accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment